NUR Shrine Center
198 South DuPont Highway
New Castle, DE 19720
Telephone: 302-328-6100, FAX: 302-325-9554
HISTORY OF THE SHRINE CLUB OF DELAWARE "THE OLDEST SHRINE CLUB IN THE WORLD"
Organized 1907 • Chartered 1955 Under Nur Temple, A.A.O.N.M.S.
Thirty-one Nobles residing in Delaware and desiring some means of promoting the spirit of Shrinedom, and knowing no way other than some means to get together closer to home, called a meeting to try and organize a Shrine Club. They met at the Masonic Temple at 818 Market Street, Wilmington, DE, on April 8, 1907, and formulated their plans to carry out their desires.
The second meeting of the Shrine Club of Delaware was held in the Masonic Temple on May 20, 1907. The officers elected at the second meeting were Virginus Harrison, President; William H. Hanna, Secretary; and Harry W. Lowe, Treasurer. The President appointed a By-Law Committee and the first Shrine Club in the State of Delaware had changed from a dream of a few Nobles to a real and active Club that was to thrive for many years to come.
Steady growth of the Shrine Club, in membership and social activities, continued until the "Great Depression" late in October 1929 caused everyone to view the future with gloomy forebodings. Delaware withstood the impact of hard times better than most other states. Shrinedom was not even halted in its progress.
Plans were made in 1936 to purchase a clubhouse, which was destroyed by fire before the Shrine Club could move in. This emergency was met by organizing a holding company, which acquired in 1938 a plot containing about nine acres of well-located land with an existing building on it facing the Du Pont Highway at State Road. Following the transfer of title in February of that year, a loyal and enthusiastic group of Nobles and their wives, under the guidance of the House Committee, worked hard -and often late into the night -on many problems and projects relating to necessary alterations and repairs, and the refinishing and refurnishing of the building. The complete transformation of the interior. Late in April, the members of the Nobility in Delaware, with Blue Lodge guests, welcomed the opportunity to attend a concert by the Shrine Club Orchestra and to enjoy a show staged in the new clubhouse.
The Shrine Club of Delaware made good use of their facilities and grew to a membership of more than one thousand Nobles. These Nobles in 1951 started a movement to get a Temple in Delaware and after many days of hard work were rewarded gloriously by the granting of a dispensation in Miami in 1952 and the subsequent granting of a Charter in New York in 1953 for our own Nur Temple.
The members of the Shrine Club of Delaware, realizing that their job was only half done and realizing the desire of the membership of Nur Temple, many who were not members of the Club, to have a place that Nur Temple could call their own, transferred title to their property to Nur Temple Holding Co. by changing the name of their Corporation and revising the charter to include the Officers of the Temple as the governing body. The members of Nur Temple then got behind the movement.
In the year 1959, the old Shrine Club building was burned down by planned design and plans for a new building and financial backing were developed. On September 18, 1960, Most Worshipful Grand Master of Masons in Delaware, James B. Kilvington at 3 p.m. laid the cornerstone for the new Nur Temple. As a result of the nobles’ hard work, we now have a beautiful new building where all Shriners of Delaware meet and enjoy the facilities.